Professor Renuka Visvanathan
|Position||Academic Geriatrician-Director Adelaide GTRAC|
|Telephone||+61 8 8222 6000|
QEH - Main Bldg
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital
PROFESSOR RENUKA VISVANATHAN
PhD, FRACP, FANZSGM, G.Cert. Ed (Higher Education), MBBS, ATCL
Professor Visvanathan has an international reputation in the research area of nutritional frailty. She is especially interested in the provision of quality health care to prevent the impact of frailty (e.g. falls and fracture) as well as improve the wellbeing, function and quality of life of frail, older people and consumers with dementia. She is also interested in research that is likely to translate into improved clinical practice.
Professor Visvanathan is Clinical Director of the Aged & Extended Care Services at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (& Basil Hetzel Institute), Central Adelaide Local Health Network since 2005.
She is Director of the Adelaide Geriatrics Training and Research with Aged Care (G-TRAC) Centre, which which include an innovative partnership project between the University of Adelaide and Resthaven Inc. at Paradise. GTRAC is a collaborating partner of the South Australian Advanced Health Research and Translation Centre.
Professor Visvanathan is Associate Investigator with the University of Adelaide School of Medicine's NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence Translating Nutritional Science to Good Health based at the Royal Adelaide Hospital campus and the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI).
Professor Visvanathan is currently a member of the Healthy Ageing subcommittee to the Economic Development Board of South Australia. Professor Visvanathan is a current board member of Resthaven Inc.. She is a current committee member of the Australasian Association of Gerontology Executive- SA Division and a member of the Policy and Planning committee of the Australia and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine.
Professor Visvanathan is a member of the Expert Advisory Board to the 49 million European Sarcopenia and Physical Frailty In Older Persons: Multicomponent Treatment Strategies [SPRINTT] Project and also a member of the Editorial Board to Frailty.net, an international education resource that aims to help primary care physicians and other health professionals involved in the care of older persons implement frailty into clinical practice.
She was previously a member to the Nestle Australia Malnutrition Board, Advisory Group Member to the board of Alzheimer's Association South Australia, member of the Clinical Governance Advisory Group, Royal District Nursing Service (RDNS) in South Australia and Deputy Chair (till July 2014) of the Older Peoples Clinical Network, SA Health.
Professor Visvanathan is a graduate of the University of Adelaide, having completed her medical degree in 1996. Her basic physician training years (1998-2000) saw her teach and train at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Lyell McEwin Hospital in Adelaide. She specialised in geriatric medicine and trained at both the Royal Adelaide Hospital and Hampstead Rehabilitation Centre. She commenced as a staff specialist in geriatric medicine at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in 2004. In 2004 also, she developed and implemented the 5th year geriatric medicine teaching program for the University of Adelaide Spencer Gulf Rural Clinical School. In 2005, on completion of her PhD in the research area of ‘Nutritional Frailty', she commenced as the Director of the Aged & Extended Care Services at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Senior Lecturer in the Discipline of Medicine, University of Adelaide. In recognition of her contribution to academic geriatric medicine, she was academically promoted to Associate Professor in 2008 and Professor in 2014. She lead the development and establishment of the Adelaide G-TRAC Centre, which was officially opened in February 2013 by the Federal Minister of Ageing.
Staff (University of Adelaide)
Dr Neha Mahajan- Senior Lecturer G-TRAC Centre
Dr Jeanine Teo- Senior Lecturer, G-TRAC Centre
Ms Rosie Bonnin - Centre Coordinator, G-TRAC Centre
Dr Cynthia Piantadosi- Research Fellow, Basil Hetzel Institute
Ms Jennifer Lenman, Administrative Support, G-TRAC Centre
Clinical Title Holders (G-TRAC Centre)
Mr Grant Edwards, Manager, Paradise and Eastern Community Services, Rethaven Inc.
Josephine Boylan, Director Operations, Southern Cross
Ms Donna Preston, Nurse Practitioner in Primary Aged Care, G-TRAC Centre
Ms Anne McGinn, Nurse Practitioner, ACH Group
Clinical Staff (Aged & Extended Care Services, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital)
SPECIALIST GERIATRICIANS (Clinical Title Holders, School of Medicine)
• Dr Solomon Yu (Deputy Director, AECS)
• Dr Kandiah Parasivam
• Dr Jason Ng (also Director, General Medicine, TQEH)
• Dr Faizal Ibrahim (also Medical Director, Dementia Behavioural Management Advisory Service)
• Dr Pazhvoor Shibu
• Dr Shailaja Nair
• Dr Khai Tam
OTHER SPECIALIST (Clinical Title Holders, School of Medicine)
• Dr Fin Cai (Rheumatologist)
CLINICAL SPECIALIST REGISTRARS IN GERIATRIC MEDICINE (Clinical Title Holders, School of Medicine)
• Dr Ruth Teh (Geriatrics Fellow)
• Dr Haresh Aurnasalam
• Dr Kareeaane Khow
• Dr Tsung Woo
• Dr Usman Mushtaq (General Medicine trainee)
OTHER SENIOR CLINICAL STAFF
• Ms Lyn Wakefield (Clinical Practice Consultant GEM Liaison)
• Mr Stephen Hoskine (Clinical Service Consultant GEM Unit)
• Ms Cassie Hewton (Clinical Pharmacist GEM Unit)
• Mr Matthew Ruggari (Physiotherapist GEM Unit)
• Mr Simon Dabrowski (Occupational Therapist GEM Unit)
• Ms Kathy Resili (GEM Liaison Clinical Nurse)
• Ms Carla Smyth (GEM Liaison Clinical Nurse)
(Nursing staff of the Geriatric Evaluation and Management Unit)
• Ms Connie Falcone (TQEH)
• Ms Bernadette Cannon (TQEH)
- Ms Elsa Dent (PhD)- 2013- With Dean's Commendation
- Dr Solomon Yu (PhD)- 2014- With Dean's Commendation
- Ms Zoe Kopsaftis (Honours)-2014-1st Class
• Ms Clare McNally (Oral Health and Ageing)
• Mr Roberto Shinmoto (Engineering, Technology in Aged Care)
• Dr Asangi Jaytilaka (Engineering, Technology in Aged Care)
• Dr Shailaja Nair (Post-prandial hypotension and mobility)- part time
• Dr Ruth Teh (Falls Prevention Hospital)- part time
• Mr Wickramasinghe (Technology in Aged Care, Engineering)
• 2010 Graduate Certificate in Education (Higher Education), University of Adelaide
• 2005 (Jan)- PhD in Medicine, University of Adelaide
• 2004 Teaching at University Certificate
• 2003 (Dec)- FRACP- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
• 1997- MBBS- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of Adelaide
• 1987- ATCL- Associate of the Trinity College of Music London (Pianoforte Performance)
Leadership & Management Training:
- 2014/2015 Enrolled In Professional Management Program, Executive Education Unit, University of Adelaide
- 2010- SA Health Leads Future Leaders Program
- 2007- University of Adelaide, Faculty of Health Science Leadership Program
Awards & Achievements
Academic Awards to R Visvanathan
· 2013 Fellowship of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Geriatric Medicine
· 2009 Australia and New Zealand Society For Geriatric Medicine Lundbeck Fellowship
· 2007 Bristol-Myers Squibb Career Investigator Award for the best platform presentation at the Australia and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine (ANZSGM) Annual Scientific Meeting
· 2005 Merck New Investigators Award- American Geriatric Society (AGS)
· 2004 Pfizer Advanced Trainees Award (Finalist) at the National Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) Annual Scientific Meeting (South Australian representative)
· 2003 Professor John Chalmers Prize South Australian RACP Annual Scientific Meeting- Best advance trainee platform presentation
· 2003 Emerging Australian Researcher's Travelling Scholarship-Symposium on the Dynamic Processes in Aging
· 2003-2005 International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (Department of Education, Youth and Training Affairs)
· 2002 RM Gibson Prize-Australian Annual Scientific Geriatric Meeting (Darwin) for the best advance trainee platform presentation
Recognition to Adelaide GTRAC
· 2014 Special Commendation- in the SA Health Every Generation Intergenerational Award for the COTA SA Every Generation Festival Awards A Health Every Generation Intergenerational Award
Health Service Awards To Geriatrics Service
· 2011 SA Health Award Winner for enhancing primary care (Falls Prevention)
· 2011 SA Health Award Winner for community wellbeing (Falls Prevention)
· 2011 SA Health Award Winner for enhancing hospital care (FAST NOF)
· 2010 SA Health Award Finalist for enhancing hospital care (Geriatric Evaluation and Management Services)
· 2010 Australian Business Award for Community Care (Integrated Complex Care for Older People Program [ICCOP])
· 2009 SA Health Award Finalist for enhancing community care (Regional Falls Program)
Geriatrics and Gerontology Staff or Students Receiving Awards
2014 Dr Ruth Teh (Master’s Candidate)- Best Trainee Presentation at the SA Division Australia and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine Annual Scientific Meeting
2014 Dr Ruth Teh- TQEH Alan Kerr Grant Award- Best Vocational Trainee
2014-2017 Ms Agathe Jadczak (PhD Candidate) - University of Adelaide Beacon Scholarship
2013 Dr Shailaja Nair (Master's Candidate)- RM Gibson Prize for best advanced trainee platform presentation at the Australia and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine Annual Scientific Meeting
2013 Dr Shailaja Nair (Master's Candidate)- Clinical Prize at the annual Basil Hetzel Research Institute Research Day
2013 Dr Roberto Shinmoto (PhD)- was nominated for best paper at the IEEE RFID 2013 conference in Orlando, Florida (30 April - May 2nd)
2013 Ms Elsa Dent (PhD Candidate- School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Travel Grant
2013 Ms Elsa Dent (PhD Candidate)- Health Observatory Research Training Grant, Basil Hetzel Institute
2012 Dr Khai Tam (Registrar Geriatric Medicine)- David Horowitz Memorial Research Prize
2011 Ms Elsa Dent (PhD Candidate) - The Queen Elizabeth Hospital Research Day- Best Clinical Research Prize for An Oral Presentation
·2007-2014 Dr Kandiah Parasivam (2007-winner); Dr Roshan Britto (2008-winner); Dr Faizal Ibrahim (2011-winner); Dr Khai Tam (2011-finalist); Dr Pazhvoor Shibu (2011 and 2012-finalist), Dr Nigel Quadros (2012 finalist)- TQEH teaching awards, Dr Solomon Yu (2014- winner)
· 2011 Kathryn Resili (Clinical Nurse)- Masters Nurse Practitioner candidate- SA Health Master's Nurse Practitioner Scholarship Winner
· 2012 Kathryn Resili (Clinical Nurse) - SA Midwifery and Nursing Award For Registered Nurse-Finalist
· 2011 Mr Stephen Hoskins (Nurse Manager)- Masters Gerontology candidate- RCNA Scholarship Winner;
- 2015-2020 NHMRC Centre For Research Excellence. $2,301169.40. CI: Visvanathan R, Karnon J, Kitson A, Beilby J, Cameron I, Bell S, Chehade M, Feist H. AI: Taylor D, Morley J, Rockwood K, Cesari M, Theou O, Yu S, Schultz T. Frailty Trans-Disciplinary Research To Achieve Healthy Ageing.
- 2015-2017 NHMRC Project Grant- $1,609,305.90. CI: Visvanathan R, Hill K, Ranasinghe D, Lange K, Wilson A (AIs Cooper I, Alford J, Karnon J, Ingam K, Shibu P, Maher S, Hoskins S). Effectiveness of an Ambient Intelligence Geriatric Management system (AmbIGeM) to prevent falls in older people in hospitals: the AmbIGeM stepped wedge randomised trial.
3. 2012-2017 NHMRC Centre For Research Excellence- $2,499,990 million. Associate Investigator CIs Horowitz M, Wittert G, Clifton P, Blackshaw LA, Rayner C, Chapman I, Feinle-Bisset C, Jones K, Noakes M, Chapman M. AI Beckett E, Deane A, Heilbronn L, Kitson A, Little T, Luscombe-Marsh N, Nguyen N, Page A, Shi Z, Turnbull D, Visvanathan R, Young R - Translating Nutritional Science to Good Health. [CIs Senior Researchers and AIs Mid - Early Career Researchers]
- 2010-2012 NHMRC Project Grant - $1,018,438- Co-Lead Investigator Chapman I, Visvanathan R, Naganathan V, Hunter P, Karnon J, Horowitz M, Lange K, Cameron I - The effects of testosterone and a nutritional supplement on hospital admissions in under-nourished, older people. (extended to 2013 with request to 2014 due to delayed start)
- 2010-2012 NHMRC Project Grant- $676,500- Co-Investigator Jones KL, Gentilcore D, Visvanathan R, Chapman I, Rayner C, Horowitz M- Gastric, small intestinal and cardiovascular mechanisms of postprandial hypotension. (extended to 2013 due to CI Jones- maternity leavei)
6. 2006-2008 NHMRC Primary Health Care Project Grant -$395,500 – Co-Investigator Adams R, Wilson D, Beltrame J and Visvanathan R - Establishing the safety and effectiveness of a diagnostic therapeutic trial for asthma in community elderly.
(2012903239)- Provisional Patent: Ranasinghe D & Visvanathan R. A system, method and software application for determining movement.
- Khow KSF, McNally C, Shibu P, Yu SCY, Visvanathan R, Chehade M. Back on their feet after a break of the hip. Medicine Today. Accepted 13th March 2016.
- Flicker L, Visvanathan R, Ratcliffe J. Timely Diagnosis of Dementia- The Need for Specialists. JAMDA In Press –Accepted 26th February 2016.
- Hiltunen H, Tan ECK, Ilomaki J, Hilmer S, Visvanathan R, Emery T, Robson L, Jones MJ, Hartikainen Sirpa, Bell JS. Factors associated with antidepressant use in residents with and without dementia in Australian aged care facilities. Therapeutic Advances in Drug Safety. Accepted 18th February 2016.
- Woo T, Yu S, Visvanathan R. Systematic Literature Review on the Relationship between Sarcopenia and Quality of Life in Older People. J Frailty and Aging. Accepted 30th January 2016.
- Mc Nally C, Visvanathan R, Liberali S, Adams A. Antibiotic prophylaxis for dental treatment following prosthetic joint replacement: exploring the orthopedic surgeon's opinion. Athroplasty Today. Available online 3rd March 2016.
- Tan ECK, Visvanathan R, Hilmer SN, Emery T, Robson L, Vitry AI, Pitkälä K,Bell JS. Analgesic use and pain in residents with and without dementia in aged care facilities: a cross-sectional study. Australasian Journal on Ageing In Press Accepted 12th November 2015.
- Khow KSF, Shibu P, Yu SCY, Chehade M, Visvanathan R. Epidemiology and postoperative outcomes of atypical femoral fractures in older adults: A systematic review. J Nutr Health and aging. Online 28th December 2015.Page 1-9.
- Visvanathan R, Piantadosi C, Lange K, Naganathan V, Hunter P, Cameron ID, Chapman I. A randomised placebo controlled trial investigating the effect of testosterone and a nutritional supplement on hospital admissions in undernourished community dwelling older people. J Nutr Health Aging. Online 27th January 2016. Page 1-11.
Peer Reviewed Original Articles
- Yu SCY, Khow KSF, Jadczak A, Visvanathan R. Clinical screening tools for sarcopenia and its management. Current Geriatrics and Gerontology January 2016;2016:5978523.
Peer Reviewed Original Articles
- Gopal GK, Wilson BP, Wiggeswarpu S, Sathendra S, Iyyadurai R, Visvanathan R, Matthews KP. Clinical profile and predictors of outcomes of older inpatients with pyelonephritis in a tertiary care hospital in South India. J Clin Diagn Res 2015; 9(10): OC05-7.
- Teh RC, Mahajan N, Visvanathan R, Wilson A. The effectiveness of health technology for falls prevention and detection and perspectives of aged care staff: an integrative review. Int J Evid Based Healthc. 2015; 13(4):213-223.
- Tan ECK, Visvanathan R, Hilmer SN, Emery T, Robson L, Vitry AI, Hughes JM, Jones M, Moawad S, Ilomaki J, Quirk T, Bell JS. Analgesic use and daytime sleepiness in residents with and without dementia in residential aged care facilities: a cross sectional study. Drugs and Ageing 2015; 32(12):1045-1053.
- Piantadosi C, Chapman I, Naganathan V, Hunter P, Cameron ID, Visvanathan R. Recruiting older people at nutritional risk to clinical trials: Lessons learned. BMC Research Notes 2015; 8(1): 151.
- Sanford AM, Orrell M, Tolson D, Abbatecola AM, Arai H, Bauer JM, Cruz-Jentoft AJ, Dong B, Ga H, Goel A, Hajjar R, Holmerova I, Katz PR, Koopmans RT, Rolland Y, Visvanathan R, Woo J, Morley JE, Vellas B. An international definition for ‘nursing home’. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2015; 16 (3): 181-184.
- Nair S, Visvanathan R, Gentilcore D. Intermittent Walking: A Potential Treatment For Older People With Postprandial Hypotension. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16(2): 160-164.
- Kaehr R, Visvanathan R, Malmstrom T, Morley J. Frailty in Nursing Homes: The FRAIL-NH Scale. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16(2): 87-89.
- Yu S, Appleton S, Adams R, Wittert G, Visvanathan T, Visvanathan R. Diagnostic accuracy of locally determined anthropometric-based appendicular skeletal muscle prediction equation in predicting low muscle mass. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2015; 16(1): 25-30.
- Dent E, Chapman I, Piantadosi C, Visvanathan R. Nutritional screening tools and anthropometric measures associate with hospital discharge outcomes in older people. Aus J Ageing 2015; 34(1):E1-6.
- Chehade M, Gill T, Visvanathan R. Low energy trauma in older persons: where to next? Open Orthopaedic Journal 2015 Jul 31; 9; 361-366.
- Visvanathan R, Yu S, Cesari M, Beilby J. Sarcopenia and Frailty in How To Treat-Australian Doctor March 2015; p29-38.
- Visvanathan R. Anorexia of Ageing. Clin Geriatr Med 2015 Aug; 31(3):417-27.
- Theou O, Yu S, Rockwood K, Visvanathan R. A Focus On Frailty Is Essential Given Population Ageing. Medicine Today 2015; 16(8): 28-33.
- Nair S, Gentilcore D, Tam K, Shibu P, Visvanathan R. Neck of femur fractures within two hours of a meal. J Gerontol Geriatr Res Dec 2014; 3: 194.
- Yu S, Appleton S, Adams R, Wittert G, Chapman I, Visvanathan T, Visvanathan R. The impact of Low Muscle Mass definition on the Prevalence of Sarcopenia in older Australians. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:361790.
- Tan ECK, Visvanathan R, Hilmer SN, Vitry AI, Quirke T, Emery T, Robson L, Sheldrick S, Reeve E, Gnjidic D, Bell JS. Analgesic load, pain and daytime sedation in people with and without dementia in aged care facilities: a prospective cohort study. BMJ Open. 2014 Jun 19;4(6):e005757.
- Wimmer BC, Dent E, Bell JS, Wiese M, Johnell K, Chapman I, Visvanathan R. Medication regimen complexity and unplanned hospital admissions in older people: a prospective cohort study. Ann Pharmacother. 2014 May 27;48(9):1120-1128.
- Wimmer BC, Dent E, Visvanathan R, Wiese M, Johnell K, Chapman I, Bell JS. Polypharmacy and medication regiment complexity as predictors of hospital discharge directly to home: a cohort study. Drugs Aging. 2014 Aug;31(8):623-30.
- Dent E, Chapman I, Piantadosi C, Visvanathan R. Performance of nutritional screening tools in predicting poor six months outcome in hospitalised older people. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2014; 23(3):394-9.
- Ranasinghe D, Shinmoto TR, Hill K, Visvanathan R. Detecting movements into and out of bed: preliminary development and evaluation of a movement sensor system. Gait and Posture 2014 Jan;39(1):118-23.
- Tam KL, Nair S, Yu S, Visvanathan R. A Dedicated Geriatric Medicine Teaching Block To Senior Undergraduate Medical Students Improves Attitude and Competency Scores. Aus J Ageing 2014; 33(4):E6-E11.
- Luscombe N, Chapman I, Visvanathan R. Hospital admission in poorly nourished, compared with well-nourished, elderly South Australians receiving ‘Meals on Wheels’- findings from a pilot study. Australas J Ageing. 2014; 33(3):164-9.
- Dent E, Chapman I, Piantadosi C, Visvanathan R. Frailty and Functional Decline Indices Predicts Poor Outcomes of Hospitalised Older Persons. Age Ageing. 2014 Jul;43(4):477-84.
- Yu S, Umapathysivam K and Visvanathan R. Sarcopenia In Older People. Int J Evid Based Healthcare 2014; 12(4):227-243
Invited Book Chapters
- Visvanathan R & Rachna K. Malnutrition in Older People in the Textbook on Geriatric Medicine. 2014 (1st Edition), Editor-in-Chief P.Sanchetee. Paras Medical Publishers (Hydrebad).
- Visvanathan R. Malnutrition In Older People in Geriatric Medicine-An Introduction. 2014, Editor G.Caplan. IP Communications (Australia).
Peer Reviewed Original Articles
- Yu S, Visvanathan T, Field J, Ward L, Adams R, Chapman I, Wittert G and Visvanathan R. Lean body mass: development and validation of prediction equations. Accepted 9th October 2013, BMC Pharmacol and Toxicol 2013; 14:53.
- Bauer J, Biolo G, Cederholm T, Cesari M, Jentoft AC, Morley JE, Phillips S, Sieber C, Stehle P, Teta D, Visvanathan R, Volpi E, Boirie Y. Evidence-based recommendations for optimal dietary protein intake in older people: a position paper from the PROT-AGE study group. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2013; 14 (8): 542-59.
- Appleton SL, Seaborn CJ, Visvanathan R, Taylor AW, Adams RJ; on behalf of the North West Adelaide Health Study Team Diabetes and cardiovascular disease outcomes in the metabolically healthy obese phenotypes: a cohort study. Diabetes Care 2013 Aug;36(8):2388-94.
- Lonnroos E, Ilomaki J, Visvanathan R, Bell S. Initiation of antihypertensive therapy is associated with an increased risk of hip fracture. Aging Health 2013; 9(2): 201-203.
Peer Reviewed Original Articles
- Rajendran S, Visvanathan R, Morgan C, Weekes A, Beltrame J. Secondary Prevention Is Better In Octogenarians With Chronic Stable Angina Compared To Younger Patients. The Coronary Artery Disease in gENeral practiCE (CADENCE) Substudy. Heart Lung Circ 2012; S1443-9506 (12) 01288-7.
- Visvanathan R, Yu S, Field J, Chapman I, Adams R, Wittert G and Visvanathan T. Appendicular Skeletal Muscle Mass: Development and validation of prediction equations. J Frailty Aging 2012; 1 (4): 147-151.
- Adams RJ, Piantadosi C, Appleton SL, McEvoy RD, Hill CL, Visvanathan R, Wilson DH. Investigating obstructive sleep apnoea - Will the health system have the capacity to cope? A population study. Aust Health Review 2012; 36 (4): 424-429.
- Visvanathan R, Ranasinghe DC, Shinmoto RL, Hill K. Framework for Preventing Falls in Acute Hospitals Using Passive Sensor Enabled Radio Frequency Identification Technology. Conference Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2012; 2012: 5858-62.
- Ranasinghe DC, Shinmoto RL, Sample A, Smith JR, Hill K, Visvanathan R. Toward Falls Prevention: A Wearable Wireless and Battery-less Sensing and Automatic Identification Tag for Real Time Monitoring of Human Movements. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2012; 2012:6402-5.
- Flanagan D, Fisher T, Murray M, Visvanathan R, Charlton K, Thesing C, Quigley G, Walther K, Matterson K. Managing under-nutrition in the elderly- prevention is better than cure. Aust Fam Physician 2012; 41(9): 695-699.
- Dent E, Visvanathan R, Piantadosi C, Chapman I. Use of the Mini Nutritional Assessment To Detect Frailty In Hospitalised Older People. Journal of Nutrition Health and Ageing 2012; 16(9): 764-767.
- Dent E, Yu S, Visvanathan R, Piantadosi C, Adams R, Lange K, Chapman I. Inflammation cytokines and appetite in healthy people. Journal of Aging Research and Clinical Practice 2012; 1(1): 40-43.
- Visvanathan R, Haywood C, Piantadosi C, Appleton S. Australian and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine: Position Statement- Obesity and the Older Person. Aus J Ageing 2012; 31 (4): 261-267.
- Dent E, Visvanathan R, Piantadosi C, Chapman I. Nutritional screening tools as predictors of function and mortality in older people: a systematic review. Journal of Nutrition in Gerontology and Geriatrics 2012; 31(2): 97-145.
Peer Reviewed Original Articles
- Piantadosi C, Visvanathan R, Naganathan V, Hunter P, Cameron ID, Lange K, Karnon J, Chapman IM. The effect of testosterone and a nutritional supplement on hospital admissions in under-nourished, older people. BMC Geriatrics 2011; 11: 66-73.
- Silakong T, Yu S, Visvanathan R. A dedicated teaching block for undergraduate geriatric medicine improves knowledge. Australasian Journal on Ageing 2011; 30(4): 234-238.
Peer Reviewed Original Articles
- Davey, K. R., Cheung, J. C. K., Visvanathan, R. and Willison, J. W. A unique assessment of stress and stress factors on engineering academics in the research and teaching environment. Peer Reviewed Conference Paper In: Proc. 21st Australasian Association for Engineering Education Conference (Past, Present, Future – The ''Keys' to Engineering Education Research and Practice) – AaeE 2010, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia, December 5-8, paper 127- 10 pages.
53. Kaiser MJ, Bauer JM, Ramsch C, Uter W, Guigoz Y, Cederholm T, Thomas DR, Anthony P, Charlton KE, Maggio M, Tsai AC, Vellas B, Sieber CC for the MNA-International Group. Frequency of malnutrition in older adults: a multinational international perspective using the Mini Nutritional Assessment. JAGS 2010; 58(9): 1734-1738.
- Visvanathan R and Chapman I. Prevention of Sarcopenia. Maturitas 2010; 66(4): 383-388.
Peer Reviewed Original Articles
55. Kaiser MJ, Bauer JM, Ramsch C, Uter W, Guigoz Y, Cederholm T, Thomas DR, Anthony P, Charlton KE, Maggio M, Tsai AC, Grathwohl D, Vellas B, Sieber CC for the MNA-International Group. Validation of the Mini Nutritional Assessment short-form (MNA-SF): a practical tool for identification of nutritional status. J Nutr Health Aging. 2009 Nov;13 (9):782-8.
56. Tai K, Visvanathan R, Hammond A, Wishart J, Horowitz M, Chapman I. Fasting ghrelin is related to skeletal muscle mass in healthy adults. European Journal of Nutrition 2009; 48 (3): 176-183.
57. Chapman I, Visvanathan R, Hammond AJ, Morley JE, Field JBF, Tai K, Belbrajdic D, Chen RYT, Horowitz M. The effects of testosterone and nutritional supplements, alone and combined, on hospital admissions in under-nourished community dwelling older people. Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 89 (3): 880-889.
- Visvanathan R. Australia and New Zealand Society For Geriatric Medicine Position Statement No. 6- Under-nutrition And The Older Person. Australasian Journal of Ageing 2009; 28(2): 99-105.
- Penhall R & Visvanathan R (2009). Nutritional Disorders and The Older Person in Practical Handbook For Geriatric Prescribing. Editor S.Jackson, London. Ed.
Invited Editorial and Reviews
- Visvanathan R. Nutritional Frailty: Unrecognized Threatens Independence. Int J Evidence-Based Healthcare 2009; 7(4): 231-232.
- Visvanathan R. Under-nutrition and The Older Person. Nut & Diet 2009; 66(4): 238-242.
- Visvanathan R and Chapman I. Under-nutrition and Anorexia In Older People in Gastroenterology In The Elderly-Ed. Talley & Tangalos. Gastroenterology Medical Clinics of North America 2009; 38(3): 393-409.
Peer Reviewed Original Articles
63. A Zaiton, SG Sazlina, V Renuka. Shelter home for the elderly in Malaysia. BOLD 2008; 14(3): 25-32. Contribution 30%
64. SG Sazlina, R Krishnan, AS Shamsul, A Zaiton, R Visvanathan. Prevalence of falls among older people attending a primary care clinic in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. J of Community Health 2008; 14(1): 11-16.
65. Hammond AJ, Yu S, Esa K, Jabbour J, Wakefield L, Ryan P, Visvanathan R. Factors associated with persistent risk of depression in older people following discharge from an acute unit. Int Psychogeriatrics 2008; 20 (4): 738-751.
Peer Reviewed Articles In High Impact Journals (2001-2007)
66. Visvanathan R, MacIntosh M, Callary M, Penhall R, Horowitz M, Chapman I. The Nutritional Status of 250 Older Australian Recipients of Domiciliary Care Services, and it’s Association with Outcomes at 12 months. J Am Geriatr Soc 2003; 51:1007-1011.
67. Visvanathan R, Penhall R, Chapman I. Nutritional Screening of Older People in a Sub-acute Care Facility in Australia and its Relation to Discharge Outcomes. Age and Ageing 2004; 33(3): 260-265.
68. Gentilcore D, Visvanathan R, Russo A , Chaikomin R, Stevens J, Tonkin A, Horowitz M, Jones KL. Effects of the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor, L-NAME, on postprandial blood pressure and gastric emptying in healthy older subjects. American Journal of Physiology-Gastroenterology and Liver Physiology 2005 288(6):G1227-1232.
69. Visvanathan R, Horowitz M, Chapman I. The hypotensive response to oral fat is comparable but slower compared with carbohydrate in older people. British Journal of Nutrition 2006; 95: 340-345.
70. Visvanathan R, Chen R, Horowitz M, Chapman I. Blood pressure responses in healthy older people to 50g carbohydrate drinks of differing glycemic effect on blood pressure in healthy older people. British Journal of Nutrition August 2004; 92:335-340.
71. Visvanathan R, Chen R, Garcia M, et. al. The effects of drinks made from simple sugars on blood pressure in healthy older people. British Journal of Nutrition 2005; 95(3): 575-579.
72. Visvanathan R. Uses of error: extensive workup. Lancet 2001; 358: 1094.
73. Mangas S, Visvanathan R, van Alphen M. Lead Poisoning from Homemade Wine: A Case Study. Environmental Health Perspectives 2001; 109(4): 433-435.
74. Visvanathan R. Is it truly dementia? Lancet 2001; 357:684.
75. Visvanathan R, Zaiton A. Good oral health, adequate nutrient consumption and family support are associated with a reduced risk of being underweight amongst older Malaysian residents of publicly funded shelter home. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2006;15(3):400-5.
76. Visvanathan R and Chapman I. Health Campaigns Targeting Obesity Should Ensure That Older People Are Not Misinformed. BMJ Aug 2005; 331 (7514): 452.
77. Visvanathan R, Zaiton A, Sharina S, Yunus A. The nutritional status of 1081 elderly people residing in publicly funded shelter homes in peninsular Malaysia. European J Clin Nutr 2005; 59(3): 318-324.
78. Visvanathan R, Newbury J, Chapman I. Malnutrition in older people- screening and management strategies. Australian Family Physician October 2004; 33(10): 799-805.
79. Visvanathan R. Dementia with Lewy Bodies. J Clin Neuroscience 2004; 11(6): 573-576.
80. Visvanathan R. Under-nutrition in older people: a serious growing global problem! J Postgrad Med 2003; 49(4):352-360.
81. Visvanathan R. PET imaging and Dementia. Medical Science Monitor 2003; 9(4): RA76-80.
82. Visvanathan R and Visvanathan T. A puzzling elevation of troponin T. New Zealand Medical Journal 2002; 115 (1163): U 202-204.
83. Visvanathan R, Lecamwasam D, Chatterton B. ‘Bang and it was gone’: An acute onset dementia? Case Report and Clinical Practice Review 2002 June; 3(2): 71-73.
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Monday, 18 Dec 2017
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/renuka.visvanathan