Mr Richard McInnes
|Position||Learning Designer and Product Lead|
|Org Unit||Learning Enhancement and Innovation|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 4908|
Richard McInnes is a Learning Designer and Product Lead working in the Learning Enhancement and Innovation Unit. As the Product Lead for the LEI PACE (Professional and Continuing Development) Team, he leads the design and development of Micro-credentials and Short Courses. As a Learning Designer, he works closely with academic faculty to collaboratively develop courses by applying pedagogical theory to practice to map curriculum, and identify and design active and engaging learning content, activities, resources, summative and formative assessment, and processes for student support.
Richard has a combined BSc/BEd (Hons) in Environmental Geography and Secondary Education and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He has worked as a learning designer for a number of years focusing on the development of fully online courses, as well as a tutor in Higher Education and a high school teacher where he worked to augment the curriculum with educational technologies including remote sensing for virtual field trips and socially assistive robotics. His current research interests are aligned with the nexus of teaching and learning theory with praxis in the higher education space.
- Bachelor of Science with Honors in Environmental Geography and Professional Education (Secondary), The University of Stirling, Scotland
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, Higher Education Academy, UK
- McInnes, R., Cramp, J., & Aitchison, C. (2021). Evaluating Technologies for Communicating Mathematical and Scientific Reasoning in Fully Online Engineering Courses: A Technology Choice Framework. International Journal on Innovations in Online Education, 5(2).
- McInnes, R. Aitchison, C. & Sloot, B. (2020) Building fast, large-scale online degrees: academic experiences and institutional benefits. Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice, 17(5).
- McInnes, R. (2019) Developing Multimedia Collaboratively: practical approaches for large-scale online curriculum development. Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice, 16 (1).
- Johnson, K. McInnes, R. Hobson, J. & Cramp, J. (2022, June) Course Quality Improvement Instruments: A Scoping Review, Presented virtually at the Higher Education Research and Development Society Australia (HERDSA) conference, Melbourne, Australia.
- Cramp, J. McInnes, R. & Aitchison, C. (2021, November) There’s no one-size-fits-all: Objectively navigating technology options for communicating STEM online. Presented at the TIU Symposium, Adelaide, Australia
- Aitchison, C. McInnes, R. & Cramp, J. (2021) How can I do that online? Evaluating technology options, presented at The Australasian Council on Open, Distance and e-Learning (ACODE) 84 workshop, Adelaide, Australia.
- Aitchison, C. & McInnes, R. (2021) Changing Experiences of Teaching in HE: the Online Teacher, Presented virtually at the Higher Education Research and Development Society Australia (HERDSA) conference, Brisbane, Australia.
- McInnes, R. Cramp, J. & Aitchison, C. (2021) Tablet devices and digital inking for presenting mathematical and scientific reasoning in online STEM courses: difficult choices and good outcomes, Presented virtually at the Higher Education Research and Development Society Australia (HERDSA) conference, Brisbane, Australia.
- Jacob, T., Pearson, E., Rowe, P., McInnes, R., & Aitchison, C. (2019, November). Program and Course Quality Review: Collaborative Development and Implementation. Presented at the TIU Symposium, Adelaide, Australia.
- McInnes, R., Aitchison, C., Parker, B., George, J., & Medlin, J. (2019, October). ‘It’s Course Delivery, Jim, but not as we know it’: Experiences of Delivering Fully-Online Courses Developed by Others. Presented at the Higher Education Research Group Adelaide (HERGA), Adelaide, Australia.
- Van Sebille, Y., Abadia, R., Hicks, J., & McInnes, R. (2019, October). Illuminating Pearls and Pitfalls: A Case-Study of Implementing Video Feedback in Fully-Online Courses. Presented at the Higher Education Research Group Adelaide (HERGA), Adelaide, Australia.
- McInnes, R. (accepted, 2019) Multimedia for Online Courses: a case study from collaborative large-scale online course development, Higher Education Research and Development Society Australia (HERDSA) conference, Auckland, New Zealand.
- McInnes, R. & Aitchison, A. (accepted, 2019) “A vision of what the future holds…” Large-scale online course development: capacity building collaborations, Higher Education Research and Development Society Australia (HERDSA) conference, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Edmonds, R. & McInnes, R. (2018, September) Enhancing Humanities Education with Location-Based Mobile Learning Games. presented at the Digital Humanities Australasia Conference, Adelaide, Australia.
- Aitchison, C., McInnes, R., Sloot, B. & George, J. (2018, July) ‘Everyone has brought their own skills, their own talents and it’s just been beautiful…’: A multi-team approach to course creation, evaluation and capacity building, presented at the Higher Education Research and Development Society Australia (HERDSA) conference, Adelaide, Australia.
- McInnes, R. & Roberts-Yates, C. (2016, May) Ways in which a disability unit has integrated socially assistive robots to maximise learning opportunities across the curricula for students with autism, presented at the Aspect Autism in Education Conference, Melbourne, Australia.
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Monday, 6 Jun 2022
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/richard.mcinnes