Graduate Certificate in Biostatistics
Have a knack for numbers? Interested in statistics and health science?
Biostatisticians collect, interrogate, interpret and communicate data. They provide the specialised skills needed to draw useful conclusions from health-related research.
What will you do?
Our Graduate Certificate in Biostatistics is offered in conjunction with the Biostatistics Collaboration of Australia (BCA) and delivered entirely online. It is accredited by the Statistical Society of Australia. You will:
- learn from leading teachers and biostatisticians Australia-wide
- build a foundation in statistical theory and methods through four units of study
- apply your learning to problems in professional practice.
Where could it take you?
You’ll graduate with a sound understanding of the principles of epidemiology and some aspects of biostatistics. You’ll gain a solid grounding for further study with the Graduate Diploma in Biostatistics and Master of Biostatistics, or a more general public health degree.
To find out more about the BCA program, visit the BCA website.
Choose your applicant type to view the relevant admissions information for this program.
I am a:
SATAC Code 3GC013 Intake February and July Enquiries Future Students teamSATAC Code: 3GC013
Not offered to international students.
Fees and Scholarships
Choose your applicant type to view the relevant fees and scholarships information for this program.
I am a:
Tuition feesAustralian Full-fee place: $12,500 for 12 units
These scholarships, as well as many others funded by industry and non-profit organisations, are available to potential and currently enrolled students.
The Graduate Certificate of Biostatistics will allow you to develop a specialist career role in health-related research or health services. Biostatistical expertise is in very high demand in many areas. Possible job settings include:
- Medical and epidemiological research
- The pharmaceutical industry
- Government departments and agencies
The University of Adelaide Careers Service prepares, inspires and empowers students to achieve successful career transitions and connect with industry.
Graduate AttributesThe objective of this program is to produce graduates with specific attributes as outlined in University of Adelaide Graduate Attributes.
- Deep discipline knowledge
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Teamwork and communication skills
- Career and leadership readiness
- Intercultural and ethical competency
- Self-awareness and emotional intelligence
Medical Research, Epidemiologist, Bioinformatics, Biomedical Scientist, Biostatistician, Biotechnology, Biotechnology Engineer, Statistician
Students complete 1 core course in Biostatistics and 3 elective courses in thematic areas in Biostatistics.
For the Graduate Certificate, only Epidemiology is compulsory, allowing maximum flexibility (within the constraints of other course-specific prerequisites).
Academic Program Rules
The Calendar is a comprehensive handbook of the University's academic program rules.
Example Study Plan
Core Courses - 1 course
- BIOSTATS 6000 Epidemiology
Electives - Select 3 courses from the following:
- BIOSTATS 6001 Mathematical Background for Biostatistics
- BIOSTATS 6002 Data Management & Statistical Computing
- BIOSTATS 6003 Probability and Distribution Theory
- BIOSTATS 6004 Design of Randomised Controlled Trials
- BIOSTATS 6005 Principles of Statistical Inference
- BIOSTATS 6006 Linear Models
- BIOSTATS 6007 Categorical Data and Generalised Linear Models
- BIOSTATS 6008 Survival Analysis
- BIOSTATS 6011 Bioinformatics
- BIOSTATS 6012 Longitudinal and Correlated Data
- BIOSTATS 6014 Bayesian Statistical Methods
- BIOSTATS 6015 Health Indicators and Health Surveys
- BIOSTATS 6016 Clinical Biostatistics
Note: choice may depend on completion of necessary pre-requisite courses.
Project work, written assignments and practical work.
Phone: +61 8 8313 7335 (toll free 1800 061 459)
The University of Adelaide is committed to regular reviews of the courses and programs it offers to students. The University of Adelaide therefore reserves the right to discontinue or vary programs and courses without notice. Please read the important information contained in the disclaimer.
Last updated: Tuesday, 11 Dec 2018