Amendment to Enrolment and Fees

Sometimes there are events or illnesses beyond your control that stop you from being able to continue your studies.

Wherever possible, should such situations occur we encourage you to seek advice or drop your enrolments prior to the relevant critical dates. However, if your study has been adversely affected by these special circumstances, and the critical dates have passed, you may be eligible for an Amendment to Enrolment and Fees.

Reasons you may apply for include, but are not limited to: 

  • Medical reasons
  • Employment related factors
  • Family or personal matters

As defined by the Higher Education Support Act 2003, these circumstances must have:

  • been beyond your control (i.e. a situation occurs which a reasonable person would consider is not due to a person’s action or inaction, either direct or indirect, and for which a person is not responsible. The situation must be unusual, uncommon or abnormal. A lack of knowledge or understanding of program requirements and census dates is not considered beyond your control); and
  • made their full impact on, or after, the relevant census date (i.e. establish a timeline of specific dates and correlate it with the relevant study period. If your special circumstances were before the census date, your professional practitioner will need to explain how it prevented you from dropping); and
  • made it impracticable for you to complete the requirements of your unit/course (i.e. made it impracticable, not simply difficult or challenging, for you to meet compulsory attendance requirements, complete required assessments or sit required examinations or any other course requirements).

How to apply

If you think you may have special circumstances that meet the criteria required, then you’ll need to submit an Amendment to Enrolment and Fees form.

This application needs to be submitted within 12 months from the date you withdrew from the course or within 12 months from the last day of the replacement exam period if you didn’t withdraw. 

You’ll need to submit a separate application for any affected study period, and provide separate supporting documentation that clearly outlines when and how your circumstances impacted your ability to study in that study period. Make sure to check the supporting documentation guidelines below. 

If you need some guidance regarding your situation, we strongly encourage you to seek help from an Education and Welfare Officer, International Student Adviser, Counselling Support, Disability Adviser or Student Success Adviser before submitting.

If you need to enrol in a course late, please submit a Late Enrolment Request form.

What's happens next?

Once you’ve applied, your application will be reviewed and an outcome sent to your university email within 28 calendar days.

Frequently asked questions

  • What is considered Special Circumstances, and what documents do I need to provide?

    Special circumstances are situations/illness/accidents/events that are: 

    • beyond your control, 
    • did not make the full impact on you until on or after the census date, and 
    • make it impracticable for you to complete the unit. 

    To help you in seeing if your situation may meet the criteria, please see examples below and the type of supporting documentation you’d need to provide.

    Special circumstances Supporting document
    Serious medical conditions (physical and mental health) or injury 

    If you have had an unexpected medical condition or injury become apparent on or worsen after the Census Date, you will need to provide a statement from your treating doctor. 

    If you have an unexpected mental health condition become apparent on or worsen after the Census Date, you will need to provide a statement from your treating doctor or Counsellor.

    You are encouraged to submit a Professional Practitioner Statement for any serious medical or mental health conditions, or injuries.
    Note: Forms completed by pharmacists or online doctor services are not acceptable. 

    • Sad News/Sorry Business; Bereavement of close family members, such as partner, parents or grandparents 
    • Witnessing or being the victim of a serious crime 
    • Involvement in or witnessing of a serious accident 
    • Natural Disaster, political upheaval, acts or war or terrorism 
    • Disruption and changes in living conditions and/or environment 
    • Elite Athlete sporting commitments 
    • Formal legal obligations 
    • Active Defence Force, Defence Reservist or other emergency services commitments 
    • Unexpected situations that have been caused by the COVID-19 pandemic

    If your special circumstances aren’t medical (physical or mental health), sufficient evidence to corroborate your situation may include, but is not limited to: 

    • a death certificate and/or funeral notice; 
    • a letter from your Counsellor; 
    • police report; 
    • hospital report; 
    • approved elite athlete documentation; 
    • court summons; 
    • a signed letter on official letterhead from a current employer or termination notice; 
    • official correspondence from a religious organisation, emergency service, sporting or cultural organisation; 
    • a letter from an Education and Welfare Officer. 

    Important: In addition to the examples above, Special circumstances may apply to domestic students where financial difficulties experienced by you (the student), or your family, prevent them from continuing your studies.

    For international students, inability to pay tuition fees or living costs based on changes to your employment status while working in Australia is not considered grounds for special circumstances. As students that are on an International Student visa must not rely on the proceeds of paid employment to support their studies or living costs, in accordance with their visa conditions. 

    Please make sure that your supporting documents: 

    • demonstrate the impact of the circumstances and how they made it impracticable for you to complete the requirements of the affected unit;
    • explain how these circumstances were out of your control;
    • include the period of time which you were affected;
    • are truthful and accurate;
    • are in English (if you need to translate non-English language documents contact an accredited translation agency, such as NAATI). 

    Your Amendment to Enrolment and Fees application will automatically be declined if the supporting documentation: 

    • isn’t relevant to the special circumstances you’re applying for; 
    • isn’t relevant for the teaching period you’re applying for (i.e. outdated); 
    • isn’t original or certified copies; 
    • isn’t in English; or 
    • if it is written by a friend or family member. 
  • What is the definition of 'impracticable' under the Higher Education Support Act (HESA) 2003?

    The HESA guidelines for assessing Special Circumstances define the meaning of 'impracticable' as 'not capable of being done'.  This presents a high threshold that needs to be met in order to satisfy the impracticability element of a claim for Special Circumstances.  Examples of the type of circumstances that would make study impracticable are:

    1. medical circumstances – where a person’s medical condition has changed to such an extent that he or she is unable to continue studying; or
    2. family/personal circumstancesdeath or severe medical problems within a family, or unforeseen family financial difficulties, so that it is unreasonable to expect a person to continue studies; or
    3. employment related circumstances – where a person’s employment status or arrangements have changed so that the person is unable to continue his or her studies, and this change is beyond the person’s control; or
    4. course related circumstances – where the provider has changed the unit it had offered and the person is disadvantaged by either not being able to complete the unit, or not being given credit towards other units or course.
  • Why do I need to submit a separate application for each study period?

    Each study period must be assessed separately for Special Circumstances.  Where Special Circumstances arise that span more than one study period, applicants will need to explain why the circumstances prevented them from dropping course(s) by the census date in the following study period, since the circumstances would no longer be regarded as unexpected, or not within the control of the applicant.

  • Can I apply to have a course deleted from my enrolment record?

    No, students cannot apply for deletion of courses under any circumstances.  Only staff may apply for deletions in the event of an enrollment error, or for other valid administrative reasons.

  • How long will it take for my application to be assessed?

    Once you’ve submitted your application, you’ll receive an outcome via your university email within 28 calendar days.

    If you don’t complete the application form correctly or don’t provide relevant supporting documentation, this will slow down the assessment process and outcome date.

    If your application is successful, Student Finance will be advised and will either process:

    Student Finance will determine which of the above options is applicable to you. This can take up to 28 calendar days to be processed.

    Please Note:  In the event the your application for Amendment to Enrolment and Fees is approved, no refund will be provided for the Student Services and Amenities Fee. Further, there is no capacity under the Higher Education Support Act 2003 for the provider to remit an SA-HELP debt incurred by a student, therefore any SA-HELP debt at the due date will remain.

    If your application is unsuccessful, you will receive a statement as to why it was denied, information regarding your rights to have the decision reviewed and what steps you can take next.

  • Who can I ask for help regarding my special circumstances and submitting an Amendment to Enrolment and Fees application?

    We understand that having special circumstances impact your studies is often stressful, and that you may need some help in managing your situation.

    If you already have an established support team outside of the University (i.e. a Doctor, external Psychologist or Counsellor), you are encouraged to engage with them to seek supporting documentation regarding your circumstances.

    If you have already established or engaged in a support service at the university, you are encouraged to return to that service point, particularly if you feel comfortable speaking to that staff member or have already shared what your circumstances with them.

    If you haven’t already sought support, and you need advice or guidance regarding the application process, there are a range of support services available to you, including:

    1. Education and Welfare Officers (EWOs) at Student Care – they are a team of highly qualified social workers, familiar with supporting students to understand and navigate both University processes. EWOs provide free, independent, confidential advice on a range of student matters, including counselling on academic, personal and financial issues, advocacy, liaison with academic and administrative staff, and for domestic students, financial assistance and Centrelink advice. You can call them on 8313 5430 or email to make an appointment.
    2. Counsellors at Counselling Support – we have a team of trained professionals that provides free and confidential personal counselling to help manage issues impacting your studies. You can email or call 8313 5663 for assistance.
    3. International Student Advisers at International Student Support (ISS) - ISS provides a range of free support services for all international students throughout their stay in Adelaide, including counselling and advice, Student visa information, program advice, referrals to the correct person or department, letters of support, financial advice, social programs and Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). To get in contact with them, either submit a contact form or make an appointment with an International Student Adviser here.
    4. Student Success Adviser can provide you with guidance regarding your study plan, managing your enrolments and seeking academic support. They can also provide guidance on Academic Progress concerns. Please see here if you want to contact your Student Success Adviser.
    5. Wirltu Yarlu Support Officers – for Indigenous students. Our dedicated Student Support Officers are available to support you through your university experience, helping you to overcome problems that may arise with culturally safe personal and academic advice and support. You can either call on 8313 3623 or email
    6. Disability Advisers in Disability Support – provide a range of services to students with an ongoing medical issue or disability . Email or phone 8313 5962.
  • What is the application deadline?

    All requests must be lodged within 12 months of the date you either withdrew from course, or 12 months from the last day of the replacement exam period if you did not withdraw. 

    To help you in knowing the deadlines, please see the table below for final submission dates for all 2023 teaching periods: 

    Teaching period that special circumstances occurred Submission deadline for Amendment to Enrolment and Fee application
    Summer School 2023 Monday 4 March 2024
    Semester 1 2023 Monday 22 July 2024
    Semester 2 2023 Thursday 12 December 2024
    Trimester 1 2023 Monday 20 May 2024
    Trimester 2 2023 Monday 9 September 2024
    Trimester 3 2023 Monday 16 December 2024
    Winter School 2023 Monday 5 August 2024
    Online Teaching Period 1 Tuesday 20 February 2024
    Online Teaching Period 2 Wednesday 24 April 2024
    Online Teaching Period 3 Wednesday 19 June 2024
    Online Teaching Period 4 Wednesday 14 August 2024
    Online Teaching Period 5 Wednesday 9 October 2024
    Online Teaching Period 6 Wednesday 4 December 2024

    Example: if your special circumstances occurred in Semester 2 2023, you must submit your Amendment to Enrolment and Fees request by Thursday 12 December 2024.  

    Final submission dates for requests up to 2022 have closed.  

    In the event an application is submitted after the 12-month time-frame, the application must also be accompanied by further independent evidence detailing circumstances that would not, or could not allow the applicant to apply by the required deadline.

  • I’m currently enrolled, it’s after census date and I have an unexpected illness impacting my study – should I stay enrolled?

    If you are still enrolled in your course, but you’ve missed the Census Date but the Last Day to Withdraw Not Fail hasn’t passed, you’re encouraged to drop your course prior to that date – as this will mean that you don’t receive Academic Penalty for this course. Make sure to check your program and course enrolment critical dates.  

    If you are an international student, you’re encouraged to meet with and speak with an International Student Adviser before dropping your course, to ensure you’re still being compliant with your Student Visa conditions. You can make an appointment with an International Student Adviser

    If you’re not sure what to do, please refer to the FAQ ‘Who can I ask for help regarding my special circumstances and submitting an Amendment to Enrolment and Fees application?

  • If I am successful in my application, what happens next?

    If your application is successful, your original grade will be removed, and a Withdraw No Fail (WNF) grade will be applied in its place.

    We will then forward the outcome to Student Finance, who will contact you and process any applicable repayment or remission/re-credit of fees within the following 28 calendar days.

    Please be advised that your course will not be deleted from your academic transcript. This is to ensure a complete and accurate history of your academic studies at the University of Adelaide, including all courses attempted and results achieved.

  • If my application is unsuccessful, can I review and appeal the decision?

    Yes - You are able to ask for review or appeal the outcome of your Amendment to Enrolment and Fees application request, as per the Student Grievance Resolution process.

    Stage 1: If you have been unsuccessful in the Amendment to Enrolment and Fees application, you are able to ask for this decision to be reviewed by responding to the outcome email. You can expect to receive acknowledgement of review request within 5 business days of request.

    Stage 2: If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the Stage 1 review, you can seek a Stage 2 formal review of the decision. You are required to do so within 28 calendar days of receiving their original outcome email.  You can request this by responding to the outcome email. This will then be formally reviewed and you’ll receive a response within 28 calendar days of the request.

    Stage 3: If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the Stage 2 formal review, you may be eligible to lodge an appeal with Student Affairs in accordance with the Student Grievance Resolution Process. To do this, you must complete the relevant student appeal application form and submit your appeal within 20 business days from notification of the Stage 2 Decision.

    Student Affairs will assess your appeal for merit and work with the University to determine if the decision should be confirmed, varied, or set aside. Student Affairs will advise you of the outcome and your right to seek further review with the Administrative Appeals Tribunal or other external agencies, should you be dissatisfied with the appeal outcome.

  • I’m unable to log in to the web-form above, what can I do?

    If for any reason you are unable to log-in to the form above (example: you may have discontinued your studies), then please contact us at, and we’ll provide you with an alternative way to complete your Amendment to Enrolment and Fees application.  

    Please also check that there aren’t other grounds preventing your application in the FAQ 'Are there any scenarios that are automatically ineligible grounds to request an Amendment to Enrolment and Fees?'

  • Are there any scenarios that are automatically ineligible grounds to request an Amendment to Enrolment and Fees?

    Yes, there are grounds that would automatically make you ineligible to apply for an Amendment to Enrolment and Fees application.

    These include: 

    • If you have completed your degree (program); 
    • If you have passed the course; 
    • If you have had an Academic Misconduct recorded due to a breach under the Academic Integrity Policy;
    • If you have missed the 12 month deadline for submissions;
    • If you don’t provide supporting documentation in your request.
    • If you are still currently enrolled in the course(s) for which you are applying i.e. have not dropped the courses, and or have not been assessed, or had a grade assigned.

Application form

If you’ve been impacted by special circumstances, you may be eligible for an Amendment to Enrolment and Fees. Before applying, please ensure that you meet all criteria required and have supporting documentation.  If you think you meet those requirements, please complete our form.

Amendment to enrolment and fees application

Note: The Amendment to Enrolment and Fees process replaces the previous ‘Amendment to Enrolment’ and ‘Special Circumstances: Refunds, Remissions and Re-credits’ processes, effective May 2022