Are we ready for an earthquake in Adelaide?
Wednesday, 8 August 2012
Four South Australian earthquake experts will discuss Adelaide's risk of a major earthquake, the likely impact and how we can be safer, at a special 'Research Tuesdays' event at the University of Adelaide on Tuesday 14 August.
'Quaking with Fear' is a free public forum reviewing Adelaide's earthquake risk in light of the lessons learned from Christchurch's devastating 6.3 magnitude earthquake in February 2011.
Topics covered will include:
- How Adelaide's risk compares with Christchurch;
- What it was like in Christchurch after the earthquake and living under constant threat of another one;
- How different types of buildings coped in Christchurch, and how they are likely to cope in Adelaide in a major earthquake;
- What we can do to improve safety around the home;
- How to stay safe during and after an earthquake; and
- The research being done to assess the earthquake resistance of our brick and stone buildings and to develop strengthening techniques and design tools for engineers.
Professor Michael Griffith, School of Civil, Environmental and Mining Engineering at the University of Adelaide, leads research into the earthquake vulnerability of unreinforced masonry buildings and how best to strengthen them. He sits on Standards Australia's Australian Earthquake Loading Code committee.
David Love is a Seismologist with the Geological Survey, Department for Manufacturing, Innovation, Trade, Resources and Energy. He has been involved in earthquake loading codes since the Newcastle earthquake of 1989.
Peter McBean is a Director of engineering firm Wallbridge & Gilbert. He is Structural Engineering Design Director for the New Royal Adelaide Hospital, and was part of the Australian Urban Search and Rescue team sent to Christchurch.
Lisa Moon is a PhD student in Structural Engineering at the University of Adelaide. She has worked as a structural engineering consultant in Australia and New Zealand and spent most of 2011 in Christchurch on damage assessments.
The Forum will be facilitated by former Lord Mayor of Adelaide Michael Harbison.
WHAT: Research Tuesdays Forum: Quaking with Fear
WHERE: Scott Theatre, North Terrace Campus, University of Adelaide
WHEN: 5:30pm to 7pm, Tuesday 14 August
COST: Free - but registration is essential: online at www.adelaide.edu.au/researchtuesdays; phone 8313 3692 or email email@example.com