Graduate Certificate in Public Health
Campus North Terrace Campus
Degree Type Graduate Certificate
Duration 6 months full-time or part-time equiv.
SATAC Code 3GC042
Taught by leading academics, the Graduate Certificate in Public Health provides students with insight into the social, cultural, economic and environmental factors relating to health and illness in populations. Students gain an understanding of the organisation and delivery of public health services, including policies and practices that support and improve people’s health.
The certificate consists of four courses and can be completed in one semester of full-time study, or two semesters of part-time study. Graduates who meet entry requirements can progress to further study with the Graduate Diploma in Public Health and the Master of Public Health.
Choose your applicant type to view the relevant admissions information for this program.
I am a:
SATAC Code 3GC042 Mid-year entry Subject to availability Intake February and July Enquiries Ask AdelaideGraduate entry only
Graduate Entry A completed Bachelors degree or equivalent with a minimum GPA of 5.0.SATAC Code: 3GC042
CRICOS 037628C Intake February
English Language Requirements
Australian Year 12 Successful completion of an Australian year 12 qualification with a minimum pass in an accepted English language subject English Tests accepted by the University of Adelaide IELTS Overall 6.5 Reading 6 Listening 6 Speaking 6 Writing 6 TOEFL Overall 79 Reading 13 Listening 13 Speaking 18 Writing 21 Pearsons Overall 58 Reading 50 Listening 50 Speaking 50 Writing 50 Cambridge Overall 176 Reading 169 Listening 169 Speaking 169 Writing 169 Qualifications that meet minimum English requirements A range of alternative qualifications may meet the University’s minimum English requirements
Academic Entry Requirements
Tertiary Qualifications Bachelor degree or equivalent with a minimum GPA of 5.0.
Additional Entry RequirementsUnder special circumstances entry in July may also be possible. Please contact the Program Coordinator regarding July intake by emailing: email@example.com
Fees and Scholarships
Choose your applicant type to view the relevant fees and scholarships information for this program.
I am a:
Tuition feesAustralian Full-fee place: $12,500 for 6 months
Tuition fee International student place: $17,250 for 6 months
These scholarships, as well as many others funded by industry and non-profit organisations, are available to potential and currently enrolled students.
Career ReadinessThe Graduate Certificate in Public Health enables professionals to further their career in organisations focusing on the prevention of disease and health promotion, as well as protecting and improving the health of communities. Graduates have successful careers as public health officers, ministerial advisors, analysts, community development officers and project and research officers.
The University of Adelaide Careers Service prepares, inspires and empowers students to achieve successful career transitions and connect with industry.
Graduate AttributesThe objective of this program is to produce graduates with specific attributes as outlined in University of Adelaide Graduate Attributes.
- Deep discipline knowledge
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Teamwork and communication skills
- Career and leadership readiness
- Intercultural and ethical competency
- Self-awareness and emotional intelligence
Public Health, Public Health Officer, Academic, Analyst, Lecturer, Ministerial Adviser, Non Government Organisation Worker, Community Development Officer, Policy Adviser, Development Officer, Project Development Manager, Project Manager, Project Officer, Education Officer / Educator, Public Health Management, Researcher
A Global Learning Experience is an integral component to your academic journey at The University of Adelaide. The university is committed to offering its students the opportunity to study overseas through a range of degrees offered via the Global Learning Office, including student exchange, study tours, short study degrees, internships and placements. There are many exciting opportunities in Europe, Asia, the Americas, Africa, and Oceania ranging from a few weeks to a full academic year.
To find Global Learning opportunities available in your study area click Global Experiences.
Students complete two core courses in Public Health and two elective courses in thematic areas in Public Health.
Academic Program Rules
The Calendar is a comprehensive handbook of the University's academic program rules.
Areas of Specialisation
Exams, presentations and written assignments.
Example Study Plan
Core Courses - Select 2 courses from the following:
- PUB HLTH 7073 Indigenous Health
- PUB HLTH 7074/OL Introduction to Biostatistics
- PUB HLTH 7075/OL Introduction to Epidemiology
- PUB HLTH 7090 Global Public Health
- PUB HLTH 7091 Knowing What Works – Evaluation for Public Health
- PUB HLTH 7092 Leadership and Advocacy for Public Health Action
- PUB HLTH 7093 Promoting Health in Individuals and Populations
- PUB HLTH 7113 Environmental and Occupational Health
Electives - Select 2 courses from the following:
- PUB HLTH 7078/OL Qualitative Research Methods for Health
- PUB HLTH 7081/OL Health Economics
- PUB HLTH 7150 Dental Public Health
- PUB HLTH 7031 Occupational Hygiene and Ergonomics
- PUB HLTH 7082 Advanced Health Economic Evaluation and Decision Making
- PUB HLTH 7100 Foundations of Public Health
- PUB HLTH 7104 Biostatistics
- PUB HLTH 7105 Diseases of Occupation
- PUB HLTH 7106 Epidemiological Research Methods
- PUB HLTH 7108 Public Health Ethics
- PUB HLTH 7147/OL Health Technology Assessment
- TRANHLTH 7000OL Introduction to Translational Health Science
- TRANHLTH 7001OL Synthesising Economic Evidence
- TRANHLTH 7002OL Synthesising Qualitative Evidence
- TRANHLTH 7003OL Clinical Wisdom in Evidence-based Practice
- TRANHLTH 7004OL Adapting Clinical Guidelines
- DENT 7007 Prevention of Oral Diseases
- DENT 7002 Oral Health Policy
- DENT 7300 Indigenous Oral Health
- DENT 7001 Oral Epidemiology
- DENT 7006 Societal Influences of Oral Health
Candidates with minimal or no academic background or experience in Public Health are strongly encouraged to complete PUB HLTH 7100 Foundations of Public Health.
Further StudyStudents who meet entry requirements can progress to Graduate Diploma in Public Health or the Master of Public Health via the Graduate Certificate in Public Health.
The University of Adelaide is committed to regular reviews of the courses and programs it offers to students. The University of Adelaide therefore reserves the right to discontinue or vary programs and courses without notice. Please read the important information contained in the disclaimer.
Last updated: Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017