The University of Adelaide Act 1971 specifically assigns to the Vice-Chancellor and President responsibility "for the academic standards, management and administration of the University".
In exercising this responsibility, the Vice-Chancellor and President is empowered, by virtue of office, to make the decisions and approvals necessary to deliver the objectives of the University. As a consequence, the Vice-Chancellor and President must, in order to carry out these responsibilities, delegate a range of authorities to the University's senior managers and the staff who report to them.
The authorities are designed to:
- be clear and easy to understand;
- elucidate processes of responsibility and accountability for various administrative functions;
- establish decision-making at appropriate levels.
Delegations of Authority Category Levels
All delegations apply to positions and not to individuals. Delegations listed are unique to that position, however not all positions in the University are listed and not all positions have unique delegations; for example, many positions are considered Branch Heads. In addition, Corporate Managers also exercise the delegations of the Branch Heads.
- Chief Financial Officer
- Chief Executive, External Relations
- Chief Information Officer
- General Counsel
- Director, Human Resources
- Director, Infrastructure
- Director, Marketing and Communications
- University Librarian
- General Manager, Student Services and Administration
- Executive Director, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice President (Academic) Division
Although the purpose of the Register is to list the Vice-Chancellor and President's delegations of authority, the non-delegable functions of Council and those matters of management that have been reserved to the Council for approval have also been included for completeness. These may be viewed by selecting Council when viewing by Position.
- Procedures for Additions, Amendments and Deletions
- Request for Authority Approval Form
- Principles - Delegations of Authority
Please direct any enquiries regarding the Register to the Council Secretary via email.
*List of Corporate Managers approved by Vice-Chancellor and President 4 February 2016, ref: d2016/25796