Holding an event at AHMS
Located in the heart Adelaide's BioMed City, the Adelaide Health and Medical Sciences (AHMS) building offers state of the art facilities for your next event or function.
After-hours building access
The AHMS building is open to staff, students and the general public between 7 am and 7 pm, Monday to Friday. Outside of these hours the building is accessible via an authorised University of Adelaide access card.
If your event falls outside the standard opening hours you will need to either:
- Hire an security guard through the University of Adelaide to manage the entrances, or
- Borrow a temporary access card from the AHMS security team and arrange for one of your team to manage the entrance.
The AHMS building is covered under the University of Adelaide's general liquor licence. This licence allows the serving of alcohol by staff and students for University and club purposes only.
The University of Adelaide liquor licence does not cover the following:
- External events involving the serving of alcohol
- Internal or external events involving alcohol being sold, this includes alcohol as part of the entry price, alcohol given away for a donation and/or alcohol supplied as part of a club membership.
For more clarity on whether your event requires a liquor licence please refer to the liquor licence flowchart.
All event organisers hosting a function involving alcohol at the AHMS building must complete the application to serve alcohol form in the first instance and then follow the below steps:
- Complete a risk assessment and alcohol on campus checklist.
- Organise a temporary once-off event liquor licence, if applicable. Please note that:
- This step does not apply if the alcohol is being sold/served by the University of Adelaide Club as they will cover your event under their liquor licence.
- This step does not apply if you are a University staff member or student and your event involves the service of alcohol only.
- Organise a responsible person. This is a member of the event with an appropriate RSA badge. The responsible person must not consume any alcohol and must be present for the duration of the event.
- If your event has over 30 people in attendance you will need to hire a security guard. An additional guard must be hired for every 100 people in attendance.
The Bean Bar is the University's preferred caterer for all events at AHMS.
Conveniently located on the ground floor of the AHMS building, the Bean Bar offers a great range of catering options. View the catering menu.
While we recommend that you use the Bean Bar, you are welcome to choose your own caterer. As part of your booking you will need to provide information on your choice of caterer.
A reheat kitchen is located on the lower ground floor of the AHMS building, and is available for use at functions during which catering is being served.
The kitchen is equipped with a sink, bench tops, tables and has standard power outlets. Any additional appliances or equipment will need to be organised and supplied via your caterer.
To learn more or to discuss your next event please contact facilities bookings.