Barr Smith South common teaching spaces
More than 300 students participated in consultation sessions for a major refurbishment of Barr Smith South, which resulted in a visually engaging common teaching area.
This project was the last in a series of upgrades under the Teaching Spaces Master Plan (2014-2019), which provided guidelines to improve the quality and sustainability of common teaching areas, and support small group discovery through flexible, tech-enabled design.
- Location: Levels 2, 3 and 5, Barr Smith South, North Terrace Campus
- Size: 1,400 m2
- Cost: $5.2 million
- Completed: November 2019
- Architect: ARM Architecture
- Creation of two 90-seat common teaching areas, five project rooms and extensive breakout spaces
- New studio for first-year Architecture students
- Improved way finding and access to the external lift and student kitchen
- New student restroom facilities
- Upgrades to stairwells