Tony McMurtrie Award for Academic Integrity
The Tony McMurtrie Practitioner Award for Academic Integrity is awarded to a member of University of Adelaide staff (academic or professional) who exemplifies the values of academic integrity: honesty, trust, fairness, respect, responsibility, and courage, in their application of the Academic Integrity Policy through either education and/or implementation.
Dr Tony McMurtrie was a Senior Lecturer in the University of Adelaide Business School and one of two Academic Integrity Officers in the Business School. He was an academic integrity champion for his Discipline, School, Faculty and the University. Tony acted as his School’s Academic Integrity Officer long before the concept of a specialist role for academic integrity was embedded in the University’s Academic Integrity Policy. In handling suspected academic integrity breaches, Tony skilfully balanced assessment security with academic integrity, always with the student’s experience and student’s welfare at the heart of his decision making.
Tony’s experience and expertise were very much valued through his contributions to the development of the University’s Academic Integrity Policy, implemented in 2020. His enduring commitment to furthering our understanding of good academic practice and building a culture of academic integrity at the University was demonstrated though his offer to provide his insight and expertise to the Policy Implementation Group in a voluntary capacity, and his regular thoughtful contributions to the discussions of the Academic Integrity Practitioners Network.
Nominations are invited from academic or professional staff (individuals or teams) who have responsibility for supporting academic integrity as part of their role.
Contributions made through the embedding of academic integrity education into curriculum will not be addressed through this Award Scheme. Instead educators should apply for the Academic Integrity category of the Commendations for Excellence and Innovation in Student Learning (closing 21 October, 2021)
Two awards will be presented in 2021. The winners will be announced on Friday 22 October as part of Academic Integrity Awareness Week. Winners will receive a certificate to mark this achievement.
Nominations close on Thursday 14 October, 2021, by 5pm.
The application must demonstrate values in action through activities that support the Academic Integrity Policy including (but not limited to):
- Promoting engagement with the Academic Integrity Policy and values among staff or students
- Leading conversations about academic integrity in the University community
- Developing and sharing subject matter expertise
- Developing innovative approaches or resources for use by the broader University community
- Contributions to policy and/or process development
- Innovation and enhancement of academic integrity investigation processes
- Providing excellent pastoral care
- Collegiality and peer support
How to nominate
To nominate yourself, a colleague or a team for this award, fill in the web form below.
- A statement of up to 300 words detailing the nominee’s contributions to the practice and support of academic integrity, in relation to one or more of the criteria outlined above.
- The application must directly address how the nominee’s contributions exemplify the values and provide evidence to support the claims.
The nominee will receive a copy of the nomination and statement when you submit the nomination.
All applications in will be assessed on the extent to which the application shows evidence that the contribution has had a significant impact in the implementation of Academic Integrity Policy or process, and/or on awareness and engagement in the local area/Faculty/University.
Applications will be assessed by a selection panel including:
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Student Learning) - Convenor
- Director, Education Strategy and Teaching Excellence
- one Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching)
- one Professional staff manager
- one Academic Integrity Officer/Academic Integrity Support Officer
Please note that the nominee will receive a copy of the nomination and statement when you submit this form.