$2.9 million for new collaborative research
Thursday, 28 May 2009
Ten new research projects led by the University of Adelaide have today been awarded more than $2.9 million in Federal funding, with projects spanning the fields of environment and ecology, water, agriculture, finance, health, genetics and marketing.
The funding has been announced in Round 2 of the Australian Research Council's (ARC) Linkage Projects scheme for 2009.
The successful projects and funding are:
- Environmental Genomics: mining, climate change, water, crime and health
$500,000 to Professor Alan Cooper (ARC Federation Fellow, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences; and Director, Australian Centre for Ancient DNA)
- Role of alanine aminotransferase in improved nitrogen use efficiency (NUE) in cereals
$480,000 to Dr Brent Kaiser (Senior Lecturer, Discipline of Wine and Horticulture)
- Reduced water consumption in commercial malting processes
$450,000 to Professor Geoff Fincher (Deputy CEO of the Australian Centre for Plant Functional Genomics (ACPFG))
- Proteomic analysis of central nervous system inflammation in multiple sclerosis
$375,000 to Professor Shaun McColl (Microbiology & Immunology Professor, School of Molecular and Biomedical Science)
- Phylogeography and host specificity of stemborer parasitoids: essential components for the pre-emptive biocontrol of sugarcane pests in Australia
$265,000 to Professor Andrew Austin (Professor, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences)
- Ecology, Physiology and Phylogeography: an integrated approach to the study of the invasive marine green macroalga Caulerpa taxifolia in Australia
$218,000 to Dr Fred Gurgel (Research Fellow, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences)
- The history of North Stradbroke Island's wetlands: defining natural climate variability in south-east Queensland and improving ecosystem management
$200,000 to Dr John Tibby (Senior Lecturer, Discipline of Geographical and Environmental Studies)
- Early warning of cyanobacteria blooms in drinking water reservoirs by means of evolutionary algorithms
$198,000 to Associate Professor Friedrich Recknagel (Associate Professor, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences)
- Can sponsorship deliver Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)? Examining internal and external perceptions of sponsors' CSR
$156,840 to Professor Pascale Quester (Executive Dean, Faculty of the Professions)
- Survival of Australia's family farms: capital raising and credit access
$99,982 to Professor Ralf Zurbrugg (Professor of Finance, Business School)
"This is a welcome boost for collaborative research funding at the University of Adelaide," says the University's Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), Professor Mike Brooks.
"In addition to the $2.9 million announced today, the winning projects also stand to collectively receive more than $6.3 million in cash and in-kind contributions from collaborative partners, including industry."
Deputy Director, Media and Corporate Relations
The University of Adelaide
Business: +61 8 8313 5414
Mobile: +61 (0)421 612 762