Human Research Projects and Clinical Trials

The University has a number of policies to protect research participants and University staff, students, and titleholders who are leading or participating in approved human research projects.

Pre-conditions to cover:

  • Human research must be either approved by the University's Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) or an HREC approved by the University
  • Human research ethics approvals granted by other institutional HRECs must be notified to the University using the notification process set out on the Office of Research Ethics, Compliance and Integrity website.

University staff, students and titleholders who are involved in approved human research projects are indemnified under the University’s Professional Indemnity and Public Liability insurance policies.

Where the Chief Investigator of a project is representing and working on behalf of The University of Adelaide, the project is also indemnified under the University’s Clinical Trials insurance policy.

For more information about insurance cover for human research, please refer to the Human Research Projects Insurance Guide.

Certificates of insurance

Certificates of insurance for human research projects and clinical trials may be downloaded by University personnel from Insurance Guides and Certificates.

Adverse events and claims

It is a condition of the University's insurance policies that the University report to its insurer any adverse event or claim arising during a human research project. Notification ensures that staff, titleholders, students and research participants are indemnified by the University's insurance policies.

Researchers must immediately report the details of any adverse event arising during a human research project to both the University's HREC Secretariat and the Insurance Office using the adverse event or claim report form.

Third party agreements

Contracts or agreements issued by third parties for the University to undertake clinical trials or human research projects often contain clauses that compromise the University's insurance. All such agreements must be legally reviewed and approved prior to commencement of the study.

Human Research Projects Insurance Guide

Adverse Event Report Form