Contract management - do you need to consult a specialist area?

Editor’s Note: This article was updated in October 2021

Planning to buy a product or service? In many cases, purchasing decisions will require consideration of a variety of different issues which may not be apparent at the outset.

For example, if you are buying a product from overseas, there may be import duties, customs and quarantine rules, or the product may not meet Australian design and safety standards. Some products might also have specific licensing requirements, or rules around how they need to be handled.

The University has existing expertise in a range of contracting areas, and in some cases may already have contracts set up that will meet your needs!

Engage early with specialist areas for a better outcome

The earlier you consult with the right area of the University the quicker and smoother your transaction will be. Making the most of contracting expertise already present within the institution is also in the best interests of University and individual local areas, saving you precious time reinventing existing and successful practices.

Under the University’s Contracts and Agreements Policy, certain types of contracts must be referred to specialist areas within the University that have the expertise, specific processes and/or authority to negotiate and enter into those contracts.

Refer to the table on the Legal and Risk Contracts webpage to see which specialist internal areas you should consult with for different types of contracts, and any applicable policies, frameworks or processes.

Tagged in legal alerts, news & announcements, contract management, contracts