Music Licence

The University is party to a Collective Music Licence with three Australian music collecting societies – APRA-AMCOS, PPCA and ARIA - that allows students and staff to perform musical works and to copy / communicate sound recordings for educational purposes.

The agreement requires the payment of a fee to the societies, which in turn distributes the fee as royalties to members and copyright owners.

The licence only extends to works represented by the participating music societies – prior to performing or making any recordings or copies, you must confirm that your musical work is on the APRA-AMCOS list (search under "Works" in the top left-hand of the APRA-AMCOS home page) and if you are copying from a CD or similar, confirm that the record company is on the ARIA list.

  • What does the licence allow?

    The Collective Music Licence allows the University to:

    • Make audio recordings of APRA-AMCOS works and ARIA sound recordings in any format (eg compilation CD, electronic file) for educational purposes provided they are:
      • intended to be played at a University Event.
      • of a University Event, or
      • provided to students and staff as part of a course of instruction or for other class-related use;
    • Make video recordings of APRA-AMCOS works and ARIA sound recordings in any format for educational purposes provided they are:
      • of a University Event, or
      • made by students and/or staff as part of a course of instruction and are only played at a University Event;
    • Synchronise (combine with other recordings) audio and video recordings made the above provisions, for educational purposes;
    • Perform in public APRA-AMCOS works and PPCA sound recordings for educational purposes or at University Events or for the sole benefit of employees in the workplace.

    Students may be provided with physical copies of recordings or online through Course Readings via MyUni. Any copies of the recordings, (physical recording/packaging or electronic file heading) must contain the labelling requirement (see below) and the Music Licence warning notice.

    NOTE: "University Event" means an event organised or authorised by the University, including live musical performances by students or staff, as long as no entry fee is charged.

  • What is not covered under the licence?

    The Collective Music Licence does not cover:

    • copying or communicating radio broadcasts, musical scores/print/sheet music. This is covered by the educational statutory licence;
    • copying or communicating music that you have downloaded under a separate licence (eg from iTunes);
    • downloading infringing or pirated recordings;
    • copying or communicating any musical works not on the APRA-AMCOS list;
    • copying or communicating any cinematograph film; or any literary, dramatic or artistic work associated with a musical work or sound recording. This includes lyrics and video clips of songs;
    • broadcasting any musical work or sound recording;
    • public performances of music or sound recordings where a fee for entry is charged; or where the University’s premises have been made available for hire or otherwise to a third party (including a student group) other than for the educational purposes of the University;
    • performing a Grand Right Work (works where the performance of a musical work is combined with a dramatic performance and may also include a narrative, plot, costumes & scenery, e.g. musical comedies, operas, ballets)  in its entirety, or making a video recording of a performance of a Grand Right Work or excerpts of that work;
    • performing in whole or in part any music or associated words composed or used for a ballet, or making a video recording of such music or associated words, if accompanied by a visual representation of that ballet or excerpts of the ballet;
    • performing any choral work or more than 20 minutes’ duration in its entirety, or making a video recording of such a choral work or an excerpt of that choral work;
    • performing in whole or in part any musical work in a Dramatic Context or making a video recording of a musical work or excerpts of that work performed in a Dramatic Context.  Dramatic Context means use in conjunction with i) acting, costumes, scenic accessories and scripted dialogue or other dramatic effects; or ii) as a ballet;
    • performing any music and associated words so as to burlesque or parody the work;
    • performing any musical work with new or substituted lyrics.
  • Music licence labelling requirements

    Each music work must be labelled with the following:

    • Title:
    • Name of composer and/or lyricist and/or arranger:
    • Artist/group name: (if you have copied from a CD or similar)
    • Record company label: (if you have copied from a CD or similar)