Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Library network aims to promote and foster interest and support for the University Library from alumni and the wider community.
The Friends also increase and broaden knowledge of the collections and services of the University Library, develop relationships with other libraries and with cultural organisations, and assist with fundraising activities.
Membership of the network is available to:
- Current students
- Past and present staff members
- Anyone who has a common interest in the objectives of the network.
Some benefits of being a Friend include:
- Library borrowing rights at the reduced annual rate of $55
- Friends newsletter and invitations to events
- Concession prices and free programs at all Independent Theatre productions. To book, please contact the ticketing manager on
08 8299 9155 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Two tickets per member at reduced prices for University Theatre Guild performances.
- Reciprocal benefits with Australian Federation of Friends of Museums (AFFM)
Author and scholar events are proudly sponsored by Wakefield Press and Mantra Hotel. Wines are sponsored by Coriole Vineyards. These events offer Friends the opportunity to hear and engage with distinguished names in writing and scholarship. The events are open to all, with $5 admission at the door.
The Barr Smith Discovery Series is an occasional one hour lunch time series offering first hand accounts of discoveries in the Barr Smith Library and the use of the collections for research. The series is free and open to all.
Access digital recordings of author and scholar events.
2016 Friends program authors feature
Authors who featured in Friends highly successful 2016 program have been featured in the January edition of the Adelaide Review. You can read about some of your favourite authors here, and the wonderful work local publisher Wakefield Press is doing.
2017 Calendar of Events
- April 20, 2017: Alastair Sarre: Ecstasy Lake *
- May 18, 2017: Mike Ladd, Cathy Brooks: Invisible Mending
- June 15, 2017: Jean Fornasiero, Lindl Lawton, John West-Sooby: The art of science
- July 20, 2017: Carol Lefevre: Quiet City: walking in West Terrace Cemetery
- Aug 17, 2017: Bruce Munday: How the rabbit shaped Australia *
- Sept 21, 2017: Newell Platten: Hybrid beauty: an architect, a missionary, and their improbable desires
- Oct 19, 2017: Maggie Tonkin: Fifty: half a century of the Australian Dance Theatre
- Nov 16, 2017: Edmund Pegge: Forever Horatio
*Two of our authors have been featured in the Mount Barker Courier
*Carol Lefevre feature in The Advertiser
Past events: 2016
- Thursday April 21: Stephen Orr
- Thursday May 19: Peter Monteath and Valerie Munt
- Thursday June 16: Philip Butterss
- Thursday July 21: Christopher Verco
- Thursday August 18: Peter Doherty
- Thursday 15 September: Fiona Roberts and Jacqui Way
- Thursday 13 October: John Hill - CANCELLED
- Thursday 17 November: Jane Jose
- April 20, 2017: Alastair Sarre: Ecstasy Lake *
The Barr Smith library holds many early printed and rare books collected largely through generous donation. This is a working collection and these unique and valuable resources support and stimulate the University's extensive and varied teaching and research programs. many of these items, now housed in Rare Books and Special Collections, are in need of repair and restoration to ensure the works are available for the continued benefit of future generations of scholars.
- Patron and Committee
Patron The Hon Christopher Legoe QC AO President The Hon Jane Lomax-Smith Secretary Paul Wilkins Assistant Secretary Hamish Barrett Treasurer Janet Fuss Members Suzie Hayward-Annese, Lusha Liu, Sonja Grdosic, Pritam Lopes, Carolyn Wigg, Maggi Boult Ex Officio Teresa Chitty, University Librarian Christopher Burrell, Immediate Past President Candace Cummings, Alumni Relations Officer
- Friends Discounts
The following second hand and antiquarian booksellers offer Friends a 10% discount on all book purchases made at their stores on production of their membership cards.
12 Twin Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Ph: 08 8410 0216
A Book Affair
39 Kensington Road, Norwood SA 5067
Ph: 08 8361 2181
189 Hutt Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Ph: 08 8223 2140
PO Box 143, Mylor SA 5153
Ph: 08 8388 5802
Colonel Light Book
542 Goodwood Road, Daw Park SA 5041
Ph: 8276 2784
Chapter Two Books
6/12 Mt Barker Road, Stirling SA 5254
Ph: 08 8339 1835
7 Main North Road, Willaston SA 5118
Ph 08 8522 5151
Michael Treloar Antiquarian Booksellers
196 North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000
Ph 08 8223 1111
17 Railway Terrace, Quorn SA 5433
Ph: 0414 558 555
63a Broadway, Glenelg South SA 5045
Ph 7007 2242
New Morning Books (incorporating Back Pages)
190 Unley Road, Unley SA 5061
Ph 8274 1011 or 0411 128 276
Paddy’s Book Shop
881 Marion Road, Clarence Gardens SA 5039
Ph 8371 500 or 0412 207 760 (after hours)
- Contact the Friends