Insurance FAQs

Contracts and Agreements

Student Field Trips, Work Experience and Internships

Off-campus activities

Purchasing or sending equipment or material

  • We are shipping materials to the USA. Is this covered by insurance?

    Yes – This is covered under the Marine Cargo policy. Insurance is automatic and there are no forms to be filled out. If the value is greater than $10,000, inform the Insurance Office in advance so that the insurer can be advised of the shipment, as they may require that an inspection of the packaging and method of shipping be undertaken. You should also ensure that any licence or permit requirements associated with export are met. If you are in doubt and require further guidance, contact the the Insurance Office. 

  • We have purchased high value equipment in Germany that is going to be shipped to the University. Do we have insurance for this?

    There are two ways that this equipment can be insured.

      1. The manufacturer can insure the shipment on a Free into Store basis. This is the best approach and the preferred option as the manufacturer will take more responsibility for the packaging and method of shipment.
      2. The other option is for the University to insure the equipment under its Marine Transit policy. This requires advance notice of the shipping to Legal and Risk so that the insurer can be advised. Depending upon the value of the shipment, an additional premium may be charged which will be the responsibility of the School to pay. The insurer may also require that an inspection by a Marine Surveyor be undertaken to ensure that the equipment is correctly packed and is shipped in a manner that will not cause damage. This option will incur additional costs for the School.
    1. I will be hiring a vehicle while on University approved travel. Do I need to purchase excess cover from the vehicle hire company?

      It is common in some overseas countries for vehicle hire companies to offer a cheap hire rate with optional “loss damage” or “collision damage” waivers.

      A loss or collision damage waiver is an agreement with a car rental company which releases the renter from liability for physical damage to the vehicle in exchange for a fee, subject to the terms of the rental agreement or a state statute if one exists (i.e. the USA).

      The waiver is not insurance. It is a contractual obligation subject to many restrictions (e.g reckless driving, driving under the influence). In some contracts, the renter has a choice to buy a full or partial damage waiver. The rental agreement typically stipulates that purchasing the damage waiver is not mandatory.

      The University recommends that you buy a full waiver to ensure that (subject to any exceptions set out in the hire agreement) damage to the vehicle will be capped at an agreed price. Without this loss or collision waiver, if you damage the vehicle, you may be liable for the full value of the damage/vehicle.

      If you have an accident, the first $5,000 of the loss or collision damage waiver excess will be covered by the University’s travel insurer.

    Motor vehicles