Teaching Materials for Off-Shore Students

The Australian copyright legislation only applies in relation to works that are copied or communicated in Australia. Any copying of works which is done in a different country is subject to the laws of that country.

Thus, while the University is able to rely on the educational statutory licence in order to make copies within Australia of book chapters or journal articles for teaching purposes, this licence is not applicable to any copying undertaken outside Australia. Teaching materials containing third-party material which is copied in reliance of the educational statutory licence MUST NOT be sent overseas for printing / photocopying for offshore students, as such copying is likely to cause the University to be in breach of that country’s copyright laws.

These materials should either be copied (can be hardcopy or onto a USB) within Australia, or made available to students online through Course Readings via MyUni.