Energy, Mining and Resources Careers
The energy, mining and resources sector is rapidly adopting new technology like robotics, drones, data science and virtual and augmented reality, creating a different skills mix for our future workforce. These advances in technology are making the sector safer, more competitive and more sustainable.
Explore careers and courses
Pave your way into a career in the energy, mining and resources industry. These careers not only offer highly skilled, highly paid roles – they offer the opportunity to change roles as your career expands and travel across Australia and the World for work. Search for career options and the University of Adelaide degrees that will get you there.
- Drilling engineer
Work with geologists and reservoir engineers to plan and oversee the drilling of exploration and development of oil and gas wells on location and in an office environment.
Work to understand the study of earth and some of society’s most important problems, such as energy, mining, water and mineral resources, and natural hazards like landslides, volcanoes, earthquakes and floods.
- Mining engineer
Work across the globe to ensure that underground resources such as minerals, metals, oil and gas are extracted safely and efficiently.
- Process engineer
As a process engineer you will be responsible for the design, construction, maintenance and improvement of large equipment and facilities which are used for processing and producing of oil and gas - either onshore or offshore.
- Sustainable/renewable energy engineer
Renewable energy engineers are part of the growing sector of green jobs that involve environmentally conscious production by maximising the energy potential of clean energy sources including wind, solar, geothermal and hydropower. Renewable energy engineers monitor and develop alternative energy outputs.
The University of Adelaide is number 1 in South Australia for all 6 engineering fields (QS Rankings) and number 1 in STEM (QS Rankings and Excellence Research Australia). To advance your career in the energy, mining and resources consider a postgraduate qualification specialising in:
- Graduate Certificate in Materials Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Petroleum Geology and Geophysics
- Graduate Diploma in Engineering (Chemical)
- Graduate Diploma in Engineering (Civil and Environmental)
- Graduate Diploma in Engineering (Mining)
- Graduate Diploma in Materials Engineering
- Master of Engineering (Chemical)
- Master of Engineering (Civil and Environmental)
- Master of Engineering (Mining)
- Master of Materials Engineering
- Master of Petroleum Engineering
- Master of Science (Petroleum Geoscience)