SAGE Athena SWAN
The University of Adelaide is proud to have been accredited Athena Swan Bronze status on the 20th February 2020, for its continuing commitment to gender equity and gender diversity in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine (STEMM).
This national program is delivered by SAGE (Science in Australia Gender Equity) whose vision is to improve gender equity in STEMM in the Australian higher education and research sector.
Athena SWAN principles
- We acknowledge that academia cannot reach its full potential unless it can benefit from the talents of all.
- We commit to advancing gender equality in academia, in particular addressing the loss of women across the career pipeline and the absence of women from senior academic, professional and support roles.
- We commit to addressing unequal gender representation across academic disciplines and professional and support functions. In this we recognise disciplinary differences including:
- the particularly high loss rate of women in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine (STEMM).
- We commit to tackling the gender pay gap.
- We commit to removing the obstacles faced by women, in particular, at major points of career development and progression including the transition from PhD into a sustainable academic career.
- We commit to addressing the negative consequences of using short-term contracts for the retention and progression of staff in academia, particularly women.
- We commit to tackling the discriminatory treatment often experienced by transgender people.
- We acknowledge that advancing gender equality demands commitment and action from all levels of the organisation and in particular active leadership from those in senior roles.
- We commit to making and mainstreaming sustainable structural and cultural changes to advance gender equality, recognising that initiatives and actions that support individuals alone will not sufficiently advance equality.
- All individuals have identities shaped by several different factors. We commit to considering the intersection of gender and other factors wherever possible.
Application and Action plan
It sets out a wide range of gender equity and diversity initiatives that the University will undertake in order to advance gender equity in STEMM disciplines and across the wider University.
The action plan has been reviewed by the Academic Board and endorsed by the Vice-Chancellor’s Executive (VCE).
A subcommittee of the VCE, the Staff Gender Equity Committee, maintains responsibility for implementing the SAGE action plan. This will ensure that the SAGE Athena SWAN principles continue to be embedded within the culture and governance of the University. As such, VCE will consider progress and ultimately will be responsible for implementation.
The actions in this plan are organised into six broad categories as follows:
- Institutional Governance and Engagement
- Employment and Recruitment
- Career Development, Progression and Promotion
- Flexible Working and Career Breaks
- Organisation and Culture
- Fostering Diversity and Inclusion