Graduate Certificate in Self Managed Superannuation Funds
Stay on top of the fastest growing sector in financial planning and wealth management
Investment in superannuation in Australia is building at an astonishing rate, now totalling over $1.3 trillion. Most rapidly increasing is the self-managed superannuation fund (SMSF) industry. There are over 2,500 new accounts opening each month, taking the total to over 410,000 SMSFs. Because of this, the SMSF industry is under great scrutiny and seeing all kinds of legislative changes.
Our Graduate Certificate in Self-Managed Superannuation Funds has been designed in conjunction with the SMSF Association. It provides the knowledge, skills and financial literacy that SMSF practitioners need to thrive in a changing landscape. This extends to financial planners, accountants, lawyers and auditors.
What will you do?
This degree is designed to link up with industry requirements. You will:
- study foundational SMSF concepts, theories and operations
- consolidate and extend your current knowledge and skills base
- gain insights into psychological influences on investment decision-making
- learn complex advising strategies
- explore relevant taxes and regulations
- advance your critical thinking, practical and communication skills.
Choose your applicant type to view the relevant admissions information for this program.
I am a:
Enquiries Future Students teamGraduate entry
Higher Education Study
- A completed Bachelors degree from the University of Adelaide (or equivalent), AND
- currently employed or have been employed, on a full-time equivalent basis, within the last two years in a related professional capacity in the Superannuation or SMSF sector. OR
- for applicants without a Bachelors degree, a minimum of five years work experience in a related professional capacity in the Superannuation or Self Managed Superannuation Funds sector approved by the Faculty.
Not offered to international students.
Fees and Scholarships
Choose your applicant type to view the relevant fees and scholarships information for this program.
I am a:
Tuition feesAustralian Full-fee place: $15,500 for 12 units
These scholarships, as well as many others funded by industry and non-profit organisations, are available to potential and currently enrolled students.
Any professional aiming to give comprehensive advice of the highest quality to investors in self managed superannuation funds, including financial planners, accountants, lawyers and auditors.
The University of Adelaide Careers Service prepares, inspires and empowers students to achieve successful career transitions and connect with industry.
Graduate AttributesThe objective of this program is to produce graduates with specific attributes as outlined in University of Adelaide Graduate Attributes.
- Deep discipline knowledge
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Teamwork and communication skills
- Career and leadership readiness
- Intercultural and ethical competency
- Self-awareness and emotional intelligence
This course is of extremely high quality and has been designed in conjunction with the SMSF Association.
This course provides students with ASIC RG146 compliance in the specialist area of self-managed superannuation funds.
Please Note: In order to provide advice in self-managed superannuation funds, students must also hold a RG146 compliance in the specialist knowledge areas of Superannuation, Generic Knowledge and Skills.
This course will be assessed for CPD points with the SMSFA Association (SMSFA) and the Financial Planning Association (FPA).
Accountant, Auditor, Financial Planner
Degree StructureThis program consists of four courses:
CORPFIN 6009 - SMSF Best Practice
CORPFIN 6010 - Understanding SMSF Trustees
CORPFIN 6011 - SMSF Strategic Advice
CORPFIN 6012 - SIS Regulation and Taxation
Students must study the courses in the order listed above and must have successfully completed a course before being able to undertake a subsequent course.
Academic Program Rules
The Calendar is a comprehensive handbook of the University's academic program rules.
You can find the academic program rules for this degree under the Faculty of the Professions rules.
Areas of SpecialisationSelf Managed Superannuation Funds
Example Study Plan
- CORPFIN 6009: SMSF Best Practice
- CORPFIN 6010: Understanding SMSF Trustees
- CORPFIN 6011: SMSF Strategic Advice
- CORPFIN 6012: SIS Regulation and Taxation
Courses must be studied in order.
AssessmentThe assessment for each course involves assignments, case studies and a final exam.
Phone: +61 8 8313 7335 (toll free 1800 061 459)
The annual Open Day provides an excellent opportunity to see our campus, meet with academics, and discuss your study options.
The University of Adelaide is committed to regular reviews of the courses and programs it offers to students. The University of Adelaide therefore reserves the right to discontinue or vary programs and courses without notice. Please read the important information contained in the disclaimer.
Last updated: Tuesday, 17 Sep 2019